It is important to protect the existing coral reefs we still have. As long as they are alive, we don’t have to restore them. There is only 0.25% of the ocean floor covered with coral reef. It should be possible to protect such a little piece of the ocean.
To protect coral reefs, a number of actions has or can been done:
- Coral has been placed on the IUCN Redlist;
- Install more mooring lines to prevent boats from using there anchor;
- Guidelines about what is allowed and not allowed in a reef;
- More care is being taken of good waste management;
- No fishing zones are set to restore the fish population;
- Some countries close entire islands to let coral reefs recover;